If you’re looking to tie the knot in a beautiful church or chapel in NJ or NYC, this post is for you! During the last over ten years of shooting over 300 weddings, I’ve shot at some of the prettiest churches in the tri-state area and I’m highlighting some of my very favorites in this post. I’m based in NJ, but I often shoot in NYC as well, so I’ve included some of the most stunning churches and chapels in both NJ and NYC where I’ve had the honor of capturing weddings for my couples. But first, here are 5 tips for you if you’re thinking of getting married at one of theses churches:
- Some of these churches book up very early, so book them as soon as possible to secure your desired wedding date.
- Leave yourself plenty of time after the ceremony to capture some bride/groom photos either at the altar or in front of the church. You’ll love having these images!
- A lot of these churches don’t allow family formals at the altar, so make sure you ask your specific church what their guidelines are so you can plan accordingly.
- Hire a photographer who has plenty of experience. Most of these churches don’t allow flash photography so you will want to work with someone who knows how to shoot in dark churches with little to no natural light.
- Once you find a wedding photographer, ask to see a full gallery from a wedding shot at your church. A big red flag is a ceremony gallery that consists of photos that are mainly black and white photos. That’s a clear indication that the photographer is inexperienced and did not know how to edit properly in color, so they took the easy route and made the images black and white. Check to see that the editing fits your vision, skin tones are accurate, and color tones are consistent throughout the gallery.
And, now, with no further ado, here are some stunning churches and chapels for a traditional wedding in NJ and NYC.
The Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart – Newark, NJ
This is the fifth-largest cathedral in North America and it is amazing. From the moment you walk in, you know you’re somewhere special. This church is in close proximity to Nanina’s in the Park. See a wedding at the Newark Basilica here.
St. Catharine Parish – Spring Lake, NJ
If you’re local to the Jersey shore, you have to check out St. Catharine Parish in Spring Lake. It’s one of my very favorite churches, and not just because it’s only 15 minutes away from my home! Many couples who get married at this venue have their reception at The Mill Lakeside Manor. View my most recent wedding at this church here.
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church – Morristown, NJ
This church is really popular for weddings due to it’s beauty, but also it’s proximity to many upscale NJ wedding venues. View one of the weddings I’ve shot there by clicking here.
The Princeton University Chapel – Princeton, NJ
The Princeton University Chapel is located on that university’s main campus in Princeton, New Jersey. This chapel has been around since 1928 and you sense its importance as soon as you step foot inside. Check out a wedding at the Princeton Chapel here.
St. Peter the Apostle Church – New Brunswick, NJ
This gorgeous church is right on the Rutgers campus in New Brunswick. It was recently renovated and is absolutely stunning with its soft colors and stunning ceiling. This church is popular with couples getting married at the nearby Park Chateau Estate and Gardens. Check out a wedding there by clicking here.
Park Chateau Estate Chapel – East Brunswick, NJ
The Park Chateau Estate Chapel is exclusively for couples celebrating their reception at the Park Chateau Estate. If you’re lucky enough to have a wedding there, the chapel is very convenient, as it’s just a few steps away from cocktail hour and reception. There will also be a hotel opening on the grounds soon.
St. Vincent’s Roman Catholic Church – Madison, NJ
Our Lady Star of the Sea – Long Branch, NJ
This is a popular church for weddings at venues such as Shadowbrook, McLoone’s, Sandy Hook, Molly Pitcher Inn, and Oyster Point. Check out this wedding for more photos taken at this pretty church!
Immaculate Conception Church – Montclair, NJ
I’ve only shot at this church once but it stands out in my mind for its ivory elegance. View a wedding at Immaculate Conception Church here.
St. Patrick’s Cathedral – NYC
Of course, this iconic NYC church had to make it on this list! I couldn’t pick just one photo from this gem, so here are three. Click here for more!
The Basilica of Saint Patrick’s Old Cathedral – NYC
Also called Old St. Patrick’s, this church is located in the Nolita neighborhood of Manhattan. I love all the natural light in this one!
St. Finbar Catholic Church – Brooklyn
As a light and airy photographer, I definitely prefer light-colored churches with lots of natural light, so this one is a perfect fit for my style of photography. Click here to see more from this church.
Croatian Church – Manhattan
What an honor to get to shoot at this church! And what are the chances one of my past couples would refer me to his sister who was marrying a Croatian! See more here.
St. Paul’s Chapel at Columbia University – NYC
This chapel! I shot there when I was first starting out as a wedding photographer and I remember having to pick my jaw up from the floor when I saw it, ha! I’d love to shoot here again some day so if you’re getting married here, get in touch!
About the Photographers